Press Release — Protecting Your Dog From Poisons in Your Home and Yard

South Florida – Recent statistics show that over 80,000 dogs are poisoned annually in the US.  The vast majority of these cases are accidental and could be easily avoided by the pet owner.  On top of this, the cost of a vet visit to save the pet can easily exceed $4,000.

“All dogs, but especially young dogs, are naturally curious creatures,” said Robin Edwards, Master Dog Trainer and owner of Home Dog Training of South Florida. “This is why we advise dog owners not only to know and be vigilant about potential poisons in and around the home, but also to learn to recognize the signs indicating a dog has eaten something poisonous, and then know what actions to take.”

“And remember,” said Edwards, “just because something is safe for people to eat doesn’t necessarily mean it is safe for our dogs to eat.”

Edwards offered the following tips to help protect your dog from poisoning:

  • Toxic foods include chocolate, avocado, onions, garlic, and raisins.
  • Store poisonous baits out of your dog’s reach.  The sweet smell they give off to attract the rodents also can attract your dog.
  • Never leave household cleaners out after you have finished using them.  Store them in a latched cabinet.
  • Never give your dog any medicine or supplement without consulting your veterinarian.
  • Inspect your back yard for possibly poisonous plants and shrubs.
Possible Symptoms of Poisoning (Toxicity) in Your Pet:
  • Vomiting/upset stomach
  • Labored OR shallow breathing
  • Increased OR decreased heart rate
  • Fever

Robin has expanded on the above points.  Her additional comments can be found at POISONS.

“If you think your dog has ingested a dangerous substance,” said Edwards, “contact your veterinarian or local animal hospital immediately. If you are advised to bring the dog into the clinic, be sure to take along the packaging of the suspected substance or a sample of the plant you think your dog may have eaten. This can help the veterinarian know how best to treat your pet.”